There are 300,000 – 350,000 Yoshino cherry trees in Macon, Georgia. The Cherry Blossom Festival and the Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful Commission have distributed over 6,500 trees as gifts from the Fickling family.
Yoshino Cherry Tree Blooming Patterns
As with all things Mother Nature, she is difficult to predict. But, Mr. Fickling has provided a guide for when to expect the blooms.
- If we have a moderate winter followed by a moderate spring, then they will peak around the 23rd, and this is the most common weather pattern for Macon over my lifetime.
- If winter is cold followed by a cold spring, we can expect a late bloom.
- If the winter is cold, followed by a warm spring, then we expect an early bloom.
- If winter is mild followed by a cold spring then we can expect a late bloom.
- If the winter is mild followed by a mild spring, then we can expect an irregular/late bloom as we saw this past year.
The Yoshino cherry trees typically bloom the last week of March depending on how cold the winter has been and when the temperatures begin to warm up. Their beautiful blooms last roughly two weeks if there isn’t an abundance of rain.
Follow the Cherry Blossom Trail
If you have never experienced Macon in bloom, we highly recommend following the Cherry Blossom Trail, which guides visitors on a blossom-filled route throughout the city. The Trail begins at the Visitor’s Center in lovely downtown Macon and includes Wesleyan Drive, home to the founder of the Festival, and where Carolyn Crayton envisioned thousands of trees being planted. You can follow the trail at your own pace, and you’ll enjoy glimpses of Macon’s many historic buildings. Macon contains 12 historic districts and over 6,500 structures that are designated on the National Register of Historic Places.
Click here to view a map of the Cherry Blossom Trail, a self-guided tour.
Purchase Your Own Cherry Tree
For information on purchasing your own Yoshino Cherry Tree, please contact email@example.com (478-330-7054), Executive Director of the Keep Macon-Bibb Beautiful Commission.
You may also purchase trees at the Cherry Blossom Festival Gift Shop. Trees are priced: 1 for $15 and 2 for $25
The Cherry Trees are also sold throughout the duration of the Cherry Blossom Festival at “The Festival” at Central City Park.